- Description: This is a project created using photoshop to mask and blend images into one cohesive message.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills, Steps taken while designing): I pulled photos off the internet from unsplash.com, Pinterest, and Google search and brought each of them into Photoshop. I started with the starry sky as my background, and I tried masking in two different landscapes, but this one had a better angle and more detail. I changed the lightness and saturation of the landscape so it would blend better into a night scene. I used the overlay setting in Photoshop to create a double exposure of the girl and a sunrise/sunset sky background. I masked her into the scene and then I masked in the picture of Jesus Christ and blended him into the sky with the brush tool. In the original photo he was holding someone’s hand, so I found another picture of the Savior’s hand outstretched and masked/blended that in place of the original. I played with the typography, trying different fonts and locations, but I decided to stay simple and leave more “whitespace” in the sky rather than the ground.
- Message: I really wanted to communicate the divinity of the human soul and the divine potential we have to become like our Savior Jesus Christ and God the Father. I wanted to communicate the light from within the girl and connect her to the lights in the heavens as symbolism of her exalted destiny. This is possible through Jesus Christ, and so it is Him inviting her to take His hand and reach her potential.
- Audience: The design elements were chosen for a young adult audience.
- Top Thing Learned: I learned a lot about masking and blending images. I was challenged to really showcase this skill, and adding the picture of the Savior post-critique was a risk and a benefit to me to fulfill the requirements of this project.
- Filter / Colorization used and where it was applied: I turned down the lightness and saturation of the landscape (using the Hue/Saturation filter) so it would blend better into a night scene. I also used the overlay setting in Photoshop to create a double exposure of the girl and a sunrise/sunset sky background.
- Color scheme and color names: Analogous – violet, red, brick
- Title Font Name & Category: Imperator Bronze Small Caps Regular
- Copy Font Name & Category: Adam normal
- Thumbnails of Images used:
- Sources (Links to images on original websites / with title of site):
Starry Sky: unsplash.com
Sunrise/Sunset in the clouds: billfrymire.com (from Google search)
“Hand Stretched Out Still”: lds.org
Redhead girl profile: Media Cache/Pinterest
Jesus heals a lame man: lds.net